Beef & Broccoli
- 1 pound flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large head broccoli or steam bag of broccoli
- 1 bag of microwavable brown rice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 scallions
- Season the beef with pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and cornstarch, if using. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over high heat, warm 1/2 tablespoon of the sesame oil until just smoking. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is just about cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet, then add the onions and cook until they are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the blanched and drained broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Then add the reserved sauce and stir to coat.
- Return the beef to the skillet and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through and the sauce has reduced slightly, about 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to serving plates over rice or veggie rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions.
Use steamable broccoli for quicker cook time and for fewer dirty dishes!