Best Beef Chili
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 30 oz chili beans
- 28 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 28 oz tomato puree
- Optional toppings, green onions, sour cream, shredded cheese, fritos
1.Heat oil in large pot or dutch oven until simmering. Add the onions, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
2. Add the beef and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, breaking up the beef until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in the beans, diced tomatoes, tomato puree and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat so it maintains a slow simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the lid and continue to simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste before serving. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and sour cream, if desired.