Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 can no salt added black beans , rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper or paprika
- ½ cup fresh corn kernels, or thawed and drained frozen corn or drained canned corn
- ⅓ cup red onion, peeled and minced
- ⅓ cup salsa
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded (1.5 cups)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil, approximately
- 6 low carb flour tortillas, about 7 to 8 inches in diameter each
- Guacamole, salsa, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt – optional for topping
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit (to keep your cooked quesadillas warm as you are cooking them in batches).
To make black bean quesadillas, place beans in a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher (leaving most beans whole while just a little mashed).
Add taco seasoning, chipotle chili pepper, corn kernels, red onion, salsa, lime juice and cilantro to the beans, stirring to combine.
Distribute half of the cheese over half of each tortilla.
Then, layer the black bean filling over top of cheese. Top with remaining cheese. Fold over each tortilla so it’s a half-moon shape.
To cook quesadillas, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low to medium heat. Gently swirl the oil around the pan to coat.Note: Cook the quesadillas in batches, two quesadillas at a time, adding more oil to the pan between batches.
Place two quesadillas in the pan. Cook quesadillas for about 2 to 3 minutes on one side.
Flip the quesadillas to the other side and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until they’re golden brown and crispy on the outside, the inside is heated through, and the cheese is melted. Watch that they don’t burn, because they can cook quickly.Note: You can place the cooked quesadillas onto a sheet pan in a preheated oven to keep warm while you are finishing cooking the remaining quesadillas.
Repeat process for cooking remaining quesadillas.
Once done, cut each quesadilla in half so you have 12 pieces and serve with plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, or guacamole!
Leftovers can be stored in airtight container for about 3 days. Toss them in the air fryer to crisp them up again!