Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips, about 2-inches long
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips, about 2-inches long
- 1 small (5 – 6 oz) red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup half and half, divided
- 12 oz. penne pasta
- 2 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Toss chicken with 1/2 Tbsp cajun seasoning. Add to pot in a single layer.
Cook until browned on bottom, about 3-5 minutes then turn and continue to cook through. Transfer to a sheet of foil and wrap to keep warm.
Heat remaining 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and remaining 1 Tbsp cajun seasoning and saute 1 minute longer.
Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup half and half. Bring mixture to a boil, then add pasta.
Cook, stirring frequently until pasta is nearly tender, about 12 – 13 minutes. Add cornstarch and water mixture and cook until pasta is just tender and sauce mixture has thickened, about 1 minute longer.
Remove from heat. Toss in remaining 1/4 cup half and half if needed, parmesan, parsley and cooked chicken, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
You can use less Cajun seasoning if it's too spicy for the kids!