- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 oz Andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup rice
- Season the chicken pieces with 1 Tablespoon of Cajun seasoning. Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned on all sides. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon oil in the skillet. Add in the sausage, cooking until browned. Transfer the sausage to the plate with the chicken.
- Add the onion, celery, and bell peppers to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and saute until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon of Cajun seasoning, oregano, chicken broth, and rice. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook for 25 minutes or so until the rice has cooked and the liquid is mostly absorbed. Stir in the chicken and sausage and cook until everything is heated through.
- Stir well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can use less Cajun seasoning if it's too spicy for the kids!