Easy Prep, Hannah Favorite
Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
- ⅓ cup pesto divided
- 2 Roma tomatoes sliced
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- Bagged salad – side
Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create 3 chicken cutlets. Season both sides of each piece with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Sear chicken in a large pan over medium-high heat on both sides for approximately 5 minutes, or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit. I usually use cooking spray but you can use oil if you prefer!
- Remove chicken from pan and replace with ciabatta roll halves. Toast for a minute or so on each side, until lightly golden. You may need to toast two rolls at a time depending on the size of your pan.
- To assemble, lay toasted ciabatta roll halves on cutting board. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one half of each roll. Spread 1.5 tablespoons of pesto on other half of each roll.
- Add one cutlet of chicken to each sandwich.
- Add 1½ ounces of mozzarella to each sandwich.
- Add slices of Roma tomato to each sandwich.
- Add the ciabatta roll with pesto to the rest of the sandwich. Return sandwiches to warm skillet. Cook each sandwich for 2 minutes per side, or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately and enjoy hot.
Looking for lower calorie? Omit the mayo and decrease the amount of pesto!