Chili Lime Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 2 large chicken breasts; cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups sweet potato cubes (cut into 1-cm (½ inch) cubes; approximately 1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes)
- 2 bell peppers (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 red onion (1 small onion or ½ large onion; diced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 can black beans drained (540mL/18 oz)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large skillet or pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook until no longer pink in the middle (roughly 8-10 minutes).
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a clean plate.
- Add the sweet potato, bell peppers, red onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, chicken stock and lime zest.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer (covered) for 15-20 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until sweet potatoes are soft and cooked through. If the pan becomes dry, add more chicken stock.
- Add the black beans and cooked chicken breast, and cook 2 or so minutes until heated through.
- Serve with suggested toppings.
Have your potatoes and veggies cubed ahead of time for a quicker prep time!