Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15 oz. can corn, drained
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 oz. packet taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter over medium heat and add the diced onions and peppers. Sauté for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- Let the soup gradually come to a gentle bubble, partially covered. If the chicken boils rapidly, it becomes tough.
- Remove the chicken after 20-25 minutes, once cooked through. (Timing depends on the thickness of the chicken.) Use 2 forks to shred, then return to the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually sprinkle in the shredded cheese and sour cream Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add any additional seasonings as needed. Garnish and serve!
Top with crispy tortilla strips for a little crunch!