Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cans San Marzano peeled tomatoes ((28 oz can sizes) crushed or blended)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup half and half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- GRILLED CHEESE
- 12 slices whole grain bread
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1.5 lbs brussels sprouts (side)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add diced onion and garlic. Cook, stirring as needed, until onion is translucent – about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the San Marzano peeled tomatoes, including the juice, vegetable stock, dried oregano, dried basil and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 12 minutes or until it has thickened. Stir occasionally.
- While the soup is simmering, start the grilled cheese sandwiches. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Lay butter side down on skillet or griddle and add 1 slice of sharp cheddar and 1 slice of provolone. Top with another slice of bread and butter the top.
- Grill until bread is golden brown and cheese is melting. Remove from skillet or griddle and place on plate.
- Once soup has thickened, add the half and half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender), puree soup until there are no large chunks left.
- Serve immediately garnished with grilled cheese sandwich on the side.
For a cheesier sandwich, use extra cheese!