Italian Chopped Salad
- 1 large head (4 cups) romaine lettuce
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) chopped salami
- 1/2 cup chopped ham
- 1 cup (5oz.) fresh mozzarella pearls, halved
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced pepperoncini
- 10-12 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 clove garlic (1/2 teaspoon minced)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
Place all of the dressing ingredients in a container with a lid. Season to taste with salt and pepper — I add about 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cover and shake to combine. Place in the fridge and store there until ready to dress the salad.
Place washed, chopped lettuce into a large bowl. Add in the drained & rinsed chickpeas, quartered cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced salami, chopped ham, halved mozzarella pearls, and thinly sliced pepperoncini. Chop the basil pieces and add those to the salad. Toss the salad and adjust add-ins to personal preference.
Remove the dressing from the fridge and shake again to recombine.
- Portion salad servings onto plates and top with dressing. Enjoy!