10 lasagna noodles
1 tbsp olive oil
½ medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lbs lean ground beef
14 oz diced tomatoes
4 oz tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
15 oz ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 whole egg
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tbsp basil, minced
½ lb mozzarella, grated
1 bag steamable broccoli – side
1. Boil lasagna noodles until al dente. Drain and lay flat on a sheet of foil.
2. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the ground beef and stir around, cooking it until totally browned. Drain excess fat, then add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and basil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Make the filling by combining ricotta, egg, parmesan, salt, pepper, and basil. Stir to combine.
4. To assemble, spoon some sauce into the bottom of an 8×8 pan or smaller loaf pans. Spread 2-3 Tbsp ricotta filling on each noodle, then roll them up. Lay them sideways in the pans. Top with remaining sauce then grated mozzarella and parmesan.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
6. If baking from a frozen state, bake, covered in foil, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes or until lasagna is done.