Mahi Mahi in Garlic Cream Sauce
4 Mahi Mahi fillets (~5 oz each)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp EACH garlic powder, onion powder, salt, paprika
½ tsp pepper
LEMON GARLIC CREAM SAUCE
3 Tbsp minced shallots
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped green onions
1 bag of brown rice (steam or microwave) – side
1 bundle of asparagus – side
- Mix together all the ingredients of the spice rub ingredients in a medium bowl. Pat mahi-mahi dry and rub spices into the fish.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy bottom skillet. Once hot, add fillets and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side (Mahi should reach an internal temp of 137 degrees F). If fish is browning too quickly, turn down the heat. Remove mahi-mahi to the plate and cover with foil.
- If needed, drain oil from the skillet so you are left with about 1 Tbsp oil. Add shallots and saute while scraping up the drippings for 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Whisk chicken broth with cornstarch and add to skillet along with heavy cream and lemon juice. Simmer until reduced by half and slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Nestle mahi-mahi fillets back into the skillet and spoon sauce over the fillets. Garnish with green onions. Serve immediately.