Mexican Lentil Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup lentils rinsed
- 15 oz black beans rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) jar crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt, more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, more as needed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in ½ inch wide pieces
- Corn bread -side
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, black beans, vegetable broth, tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro and tortilla strips. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- To serve, place some of the soup in a bowl and top with preferred toppings such as sour cream, cheese, and tortilla strips.
Serve with a sandwich for a more filling meal!