4 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 lb lean ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste
5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
4 slices swiss cheese
8 slices of rye bread or bread of choice
1 lb fresh green beans – side
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium-low heat. Throw in sliced onions and cook slowly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, salt, and pepper, and Worcestershire. Form into 4 patties.
Cook patties on both sides until totally done.
- Assemble patties: a slice of bread, hamburger patty, onions, swiss cheese, and another slice of bread.
- On a clean skillet or griddle, spray with cooking spray and grill sandwiches over medium heat. Can add a small amount of butter onto bread for a more buttery, toasted flavor. Flip the sandwiches to brown on both sides. Cook until golden brown and until cheese has melted.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.
You may consider leaving onions off of kids sandwiches if they don’t like them.