8 oz white Velveeta
½ tsp black pepper
1/4 cup milk
6 Tbsp butter
6 whole deli rolls
1.5 lbs thinly shaved good quality deli roast beef
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
1 whole green bell pepper, seeded and sliced thick
1 whole yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced thick
1 whole red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thick
1 bag steamable broccoli – side
- First make the cheese sauce by combining the Velveeta, black pepper, and milk in a small pan. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until its melted and hot. Keep warm.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter on a griddle over medium heat, then place the deli roll halves on the griddle until golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat 2 more Tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Throw in the roast beef and move it around with a spatula, breaking it up a bit as you go. Cook/warm for about a minute or so, then remove it to a plate and set it aside.
- Add the remaining Tbsp butter to the same skillet and throw in the onions and peppers. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the veggies until dark golden and soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To build the sandwiches, place a pile of beef on the bottom half of each roll. Spoon cheese sauce over the beef. Top with peppers and onions, then top with more cheese sauce. Place the top half of the roll on top and serve immediately.