Philly Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion small, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts sliced across horizontally
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (gluten-free recommended)
- 2 bell peppers cut in half with seeds removed
- 2 provolone cheese slices reduced-fat
- 1 head cauliflower – side (roast in oven or air fryer!)
- 4-6 whole wheat dinner rolls -side
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and the chicken and cook until browned. Stir in the salt, cayenne, and Balsamic. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through.
- Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the core and seeds. Fill the peppers with the chicken mixture and lay in a baking dish. Add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of the dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the cover and top each bell pepper half with a half slice of provolone. Put back in the oven uncovered, and bake until cheese is browned and bubbly, 5-10 more minutes.
Used cooked chicken to save time! You can add cooked chicken to the pan in step 2 to warm for about 5 minutes.