Family-Friendly, Low Calorie
Slow Cooker Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 1 cup dry, uncooked wild rice
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup olive oil, butter, ghee or vegan butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water, or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened oat or almond milk
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- fresh thyme, for garnish (optional)
Rinse the rice under running water. Place the uncooked rice, chicken breast, garlic, onions, celery, carrots, thyme, rosemary, salt, bay leaves, chicken broth and water into your slow cooker.
Cover and cook on the low setting for 7-8 hours. In the last 1/2 hour of cooking, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Allow to cool slightly and then use two forks to shred the chicken into small pieces.
When the rice is done cooking, remove the bay leaves and add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Melt the butter or oil in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture cook for 1 minute. Whisk the mixture slowly while adding in the milk. Continue to whisk until all lumps have dissolved. Allow the mixture to thicken and become creamy.
Add the creamy mixture into the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Add additional water or milk to your preference if the consistency is too thick. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve.
You can set slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours to speed it up.