Stuffed Zucchini Boats
4 medium zucchini
½ cup mild salsa
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp oregano
½ small onion
2 Tbsp bell pepper, minced
4 oz can tomato sauce
¼ cup water
½ cup Mexican blended cheese, shredded
¼ cup chopped scallions
Garlic bread (side)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place ¼ cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Using a small spoon, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving ¼” thick shell.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, tomato sauce, and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about ⅓ cup in each.
- Top each with 1 Tbsp shredded cheese (or more if you’d like). Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
- Top with scallions and serve with salsa on the side.