Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small sweet onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
¾ tsp pepper
⅛ tsp cinnamon
28 oz crushed tomatoes, canned
1 cup chicken broth
15 oz sweet corn, canned
15 oz black beans, canned and drained
Optional toppings: cilantro, sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, drizzle olive oil. Add onions and garlic. Saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Push onions to the side and add ground turkey. Continue cooking over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until turkey is almost cooked through. Crumble-cooked turkey using a potato masher.
- Add sweet potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Pour crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, and seasoning ingredients into the chili mixture. Mix chili thoroughly and reduce heat to low.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix in drained corn and black beans. Cover and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Check to see if sweet potatoes are fork-tender before serving. If you would like a slightly thicker chili, mash some of the sweet potatoes to help thicken it up.
- Add any toppings you would like and enjoy!
If you have picky eaters who don’t like the cubed sweet potatoes, mash them up for a thicker consistency!