1 Hour and 15 Minutes
- FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 5 cups cooked diced turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- STUFFING (Top Layer) INGREDIENTS
- 10 ounces whole wheat french Artisan bread, cut into small cubes (can use leftover dressing as well)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 large stalks celery, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- STUFFING: In a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the butter; when melted add onions, 2 chopped celery stalks, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and saute on medium low until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes then transfer to a large bowl and add the bread pieces. Combine egg and broth in a bowl and whisk, add to the stuffing and mix to combine.
- FILLING INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wipe the skillet and add oil over medium heat. Add the 3 chopped celery stalks along with thyme and sage and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, turkey, 2 cups of the turkey broth (not all 3 cups!), 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Stir and simmer over medium-low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile combine 1 cup turkey/chicken broth with the corn starch and mix well to dissolve.
- Add to the turkey and cook over medium-low heat, stirring until thickened, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to an oven safe, deep 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Place the stuffing over the turkey filling. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is hot and bubbling. You can broil for a short bit for an extra crispy topping!
You can use leftover green beans or other vegetables in this mixture as well. Tailor it to your leftovers!