Slow Cooker Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth if you like a less salty soup, use low sodium
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 pounds sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp salt to taste
- 1.5 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 cups kale roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- 16 ounce package refrigerated Cheese Tortellini
- In a large pan add sausage, onion, and garlic. Roughly chop while the sausage is cooking and cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is completely cooked through; about 8-10 minutes.
- Once sausage is cooked remove from heat and drain excess grease if you desire.
- In a 6 qt. slow cooker add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, cooked sausage and all of the seasonings.
- Add lid onto slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5.
- Add half & half, shredded parmesan cheese, and tortellini and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Then add chopped kale and cook another 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve and garnish with more cheese if you so desire.
Chop kale very finely if you've got picky kids 🙂